The Student News Site of John Jay College of Criminal Justice

The Sentinel

The Sentinel

The Sentinel

All About John Jay’s Fitness Center

Justin Rios
John Jay’s Fitness Center

For years, John Jay students have assumed that the third floor in Haaren Hall was used exclusively for arts studies, music, and economics, but, as of fall 2022, that floor now includes a fitness center for any student or staff member to use.

This area provides a welcoming community for students who want to add a workout routine to their schedules. 

Along with being a space to work on their fitness, students also feel the Fitness Center is a great place for employment through John Jay’s work study program.

Eleanore K, a sociology major at John Jay, is apart of the John Jay’s work study program and works at the Fitness Center in between her classes.

“I was recommended to work here during a work study event last year and I heard about how fun it was getting to know the people who go here, while getting paid to talk to people,” said Eleanore.

When stepping out of the elevator to enter the Fitness Center students are greeted by staff members who welcome newcomers and answer any questions one might have.

John Jay’s Fitness Center

Behind the front desk is a variety of equipment: treadmills, chest presses, benches, leg press, barbells, and weights. 

One of the priceless aspects that the Fitness Center offers is a large community of students eager to guide and build relationships with one another.

“Everyone who goes here gets along and is very helpful,” she said. “Compared to regular gyms, a lot of people who go there are usually closed off and to themselves, but I feel very comfortable being here,” said Eleanore.

Balancing an education and job can be stressful for any student. Thanks to the campus’s work study program, students can get the best of both worlds.

“The school is very understanding and helpful whenever I break down my class and personal schedule whenever we talk about the hours I can offer for working,” said Eleanore.

One of the more popular areas students use to strengthen their legs is the leg press machine.

Marcus Roman, is a 2023 John Jay Alumni and Police Officer who works in the MTA Police Department. Occasionally, he returns to John Jay’s campus to utilize the exercise equipment in the Fitness Center. 

“My friend who goes to classes this year told me that the gym here is free for students and alumni so I come here whenever I’m around,” said Marcus.

John Jay students who already pay a monthly fee for a gym membership outside of campus can find the same value without any additional costs.

“I was paying a $60 contract on top of $20 per month every year at Blink Fitness, so I save way more money going here and have everything I need for strength training,” said Marcus.

A warm and welcoming environment, especially in the fitness industry, is considered rare during the beginning of people’s fitness journeys. 

“I love it here compared to my old gym since the people who go here are more fun and easier to talk to,” he said. “I feel more confident and get more fulfilling workouts here,” said Marcus.

Whenever students need to cool off, they are encouraged to refill their bottles at one of the water fountains available.

Locker rooms are also available for those who carry their equipment throughout the day and are encouraged to bring their locks to secure their belongings.

John Jay’s Fitness Center

The weights provided range from 5 lbs to 45 lbs and they come in the shape of barbells, medicine balls, plates, and bars. 

Machines such as the chest press use a pin to adjust weight while stationary.

Next door to the gym is the John Jay Doghouse where a full-sized basketball court is available for those who schedule a time outside of the team’s practice schedule, can organize their own games.

A swimming pool also located in Haaren Hall, which tends to see more use as the temperature rises during the spring and summer seasons.

According to the John Jay Athletics’s website, “The facility [the swimming pool] consists of a 25 yard pool with five lanes. “The depth of the pool ranges from 4 feet to 13.4 feet,” read the John Jay Athletics website.

The rules for the swimming pool can also be found online. These rules encourage the proper use of equipment and the safety for all students and staff.

Students whose schedules consist of working and studying have trouble incorporating a regular workout routine alongside their busy schedules. 

The convenience of John Jay’s Fitness Center helps alleviate students’ scheduling conflicts, which may have prevented them from working out in the past, and provides a positive environment for students to focus on their studies, exercise, and, in some cases, find employment during their semester.

The Fitness Center is open Monday through Thursday from 8 am to 9:30 pm, Fridays from 9 am to 2pm, and is closed on Saturdays and Sundays.

The full Fitness Center spring 2024 schedule can be found here.