The Student News Site of John Jay College of Criminal Justice

The Sentinel

The Sentinel

The Sentinel

College & Clubbing

Are too many college students sleeping on the city that never sleeps because of school and other responsibilities?

New York City is known for having the best clubs, lounges, and bars in the world. On any given night, you can find a fun place to drink, dance, or just hang out. A majority of the crowd that you expect to find in these venues are in the 18-25 age group – many of them in college.

Between the amount of time that college students, John Jay students particularly, spend in classes, commuting, doing homework or studying, and attempting to have a social life, are too many of them missing out on this spectacular nightlife? For the ones that are not, how do they manage?

Amir Lukovic, a junior at John Jay and frequent clubber, forces space in his schedule to party.

“I make time,” he said. “I work 40 hours a week and go to school, but you make time for what you want to make time for.”

On the other hand, intense work schedules are the blame for students who do not have the luxury of a nightlife. Drilon Shahini, another junior, either has no time or does not feel like going out.

“It’s too late by the time I get home from work to do anything but sleep,” he said. “Weekends are my free time, but at that point I’m not even in the mood to drink,” he added.

It was easier for the people who have friends involved in the club scene to be involved themselves – taking care of their duties and then proceeding to party – but even that doesn’t work out.

“Every Friday night, my whole squad goes out. I’ll try to get everything done throughout the week because I know that I’d rather be drunk on Friday night, but most of the time you’re just so tired by then,” said Anibela Kolenovic, a 22-year-old regular at Club Haus.

Working at a bar, promoting at clubs, and attending a variety of lounges every week provides insight to this study. In these facilities, it is not unusual to hear terms implying that somebody has exams to study for or another school-related responsibility, but they do not care. Perhaps a good deal of students who have time for partying are not as educationally focused as the ones who claim they have no time for it.

Gavin O’Neill, the general manager of Tonic Sports Bar for the past 13 years, speaks of the 18-25-year-olds that go to the bar.

“Our Friday and Saturday crowds are of college age, but they are not college students,” he said.

This shows that school is a major factor that school gets in the way of experiencing the nightlife. Additionally, many of these places will explode with business from a younger crowd once finals are over, further portraying the interference of education duties.

Whilst conducting interviews, there was a correlation found between the Greek system and being associated with bars.

Every interviewed person that took part in the Greek system had affirmed being affiliated with local taverns because of their fraternity or sorority requirements.

“We all have to attend most of the planned social events, especially the mixers,” said Alexandra Jacques, a member of Chi Iota Omega. “We go to different bars around the city almost every week.”

Is being obligated to go to these places easier than making time for it on your own?